Lower Quarter Course – Toms River, NJ
Feb 8, 2020 @ 8:00 am – Feb 9, 2020 @ 4:30 pm
Spinal and Peripheral Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques For Lower Quarter This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the lumbar spine, sacroiliac joint as well as for the lower extremity.
- PRO CERT 14 CCUs: State Board of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) for those clinicians that hold license in: Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming
- Continuing Education (CE) credits Certificate of attendance for 13 hours
- NATA Board of Certification Approval #P3566
Spinal and Peripheral Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques For Lower QuarterThis two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the lumbar spine and sacroiliac joint as well as for the lower extremity. It will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement ® approach for the lower quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
By the end of the course the participant will be able to accurately:
- List 3 key components of Mobilization With Movement ® for the treatment of lower quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 ankle MWM techniques for ankle ROM impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 knee MWM techniques for ROM impairment.
- Demonstrate 3 hip MWM techniques for ROM impairment.
- List 2 indications for ankle and knee taping procedures to reinforce MWM techniques.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the lower extremity, SI jt and lumbar spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual techniques for the alleviation straight leg raise pain.
- Demonstrate 2 manual techniques for the alleviation of SI jt pain.
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of lumbar ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support ankle sprain MWM and taping.
- Cite at least 1 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to dorsiflexion loss of the ankle.
OutlineTwo Day Course 8:00AM – 4:00PM both days (13 hours)(BOC ATC CEU Provider P3566) Instruction in the MWM concept with lecture, demonstration and lab practice DAY 1: 8:00-9:00 – Introduction, Case reports, theory and pre test 9:00-10:00 – Toes/Feet demo & lab: 1st MCP, metatarsals, tarsals, plantar fasciitis & taping techniques 10:00-10:15 – Morning Break 10:15-10:30 – Ankle Lecture: literature evidence for eval and rx of ankle sprain and dorsiflexion 10:30-12:00 Ankle demo & lab practice: talocrural, distal tib/fib jt, DF, PF, ankle sprains & taping 12:00-1:00 – Lunch 1:00-2:30 – Knee demo & lab: Belt & IR MWMs, Squeeze tech for meniscus, proximal tib/fib, & taping 2:30-2:45 – Afternoon Break 2:45-4:00 – Hip demonstration and lab practice: flexion, extension, rotation non-weight bearing techniques Day 2: 8:00-9:00 – Hip demonstration and lab practice: weight bearing techniques 9:00-10:00 – Lumbar demo & lab practice: SNAGs for flexion, extension, side bending & rotation. 10:00-10:15 – Morning Break 10:15-12:00 – Lumbar demo & lab practice: self SNAGs, SLR techs, SNAGS with SLR, HEP 12:00-1:00 – Lunch 1:00-2:30 – SI jt demo & lab practice: ilium & sacral techniques, wt bearing / non wt bearing, taping & HEP. 2:30-2:45 – Afternoon Break 2:45-3:30 – Thoracic demo & lab practice: SNAGs for rotation, flexion, SB, ext, belt traction, HEP 3:30-4:00 – Practical Review session. Post course test.
Wear loose, comfortable lab clothes. Bring mobilization belts, mobilization pads, if available.
Suggested ReadingRecommended texts for the course.
The Mulligan Concept ® of Manual Therapy: Textbook of techniques by Hing, Hall, Rivett, Vicenzino and Mulligan, 2015. Get 10% OFF by entering PROMOTIONAL CODE: BAL6E70486 at checkout !!
Julie Paolino – MS, PT, ATC, MCTA Julie is a graduate of Quinnipiac College in Hamden, Connecticut, where she also obtained her advanced Master’s Degree in orthopedic physical therapy. She has over thirty years of clinical experience in orthopedics and sports medicine. She currently owns and operates a private practice in Connecticut. Julie has worked closely with Brian Mulligan and his manual techniques of “Mobilizations with Movement” and was the first woman in North America certified by Brian Mulligan, F.N.Z.S.P., (Hon.) Dip. M.T. and the Mulligan Concept ® Teacher’s Association to teach his concept. Since her certification in 1998, she has assisted Brian Mulligan with courses both nationally and internationally. She has also shared her passion for the Mulligan Concept ® by serving as the primary course instructor for numerous Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers. In addition, she has presented the Mulligan Concept ® at national professional conferences and most recently provided private instruction to the Athletic Training staff of an NFL team.
Airport : Hotel Options : Miscellaneous :